RSS Feed

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Raw Vegan 7 Day Challenge

I may or may not have hinted at the fact that I have been preparing for my raw, vegan 7 day challenge with one of my best friends. In my preparation of going 90% raw for 7 days, I've gotten reacquainted with salad, smoothies, and met a couple of new and raw dishes such as: zucchini rawsta, raw buddha bowl, fresh wrap, vanilla cheesecake, raw almond milk and chocolate raspberry cake. I've increased my raw intake of veggies and fruits to about 50% of every meal I have and have tried to stay away from over-eating nuts and dried fruit (I read from others' experiences that when they snacked on nuts and dried fruit, they still felt hungry, kept eating and thus gained extra weight)

I've also identified 3 things I want to monitor during raw week: energy levels, weight and overall mood. Although 7 days is a quite short time to see the long term benefits of going raw, it's an idea that I personally have to take one step at a time. I've also done some research about what is raw or not according to other raw foodists, nutritionists, etc. and here is a list I came up with:

Raw Maybe Not Raw
Fresh Fruits Nutritional Yeast Frozen veggies
Fresh Veggies Unfiltered cold pressed organic olive oil Anything canned
Sprouted Grains/Legumes Braggs amino soy sauce Regular nuts/fruits
Raw Agave Syrup Tea brewed in low temp Oils/Vinegars
Raw Apple Cider Vinegarp Vanilla bean Maple Syrup
Non-Dairy Milk from scratch Sundried tomato Coffee/Tea
Raw Cocoa Powder Spices Vanilla Extract/Cocoa Powder
Raw Nuts/Dried Fruits

I will try and keep my focus on vegetables, fruits and grains, while eating less of nuts and dried fruits. Since I will be eating about 90% raw starting Monday, the other other 10% will be an allowance for foods it might be hard to let go of right now (no not cooked food!) but ingredients such as nutritional yeast, oils, maple syrup, coconut oil, etc.

I'd have to say one of the hardest things I will have to abstain from will be coffee, and as far as I've read, tea isn't quite raw either. I'm not sure how true this is, but I read that the tea inside teabags or even looseleaf tea gets heated above 48 degrees Celsius (118 degrees Fahrenheit) when it is processed and packaged. The only way to truly get raw tea is grow your own herbs and let them steep in water in the sun, some call this Sun Tea. I do have mint in my garden, so I will try that out, but I may slip tea in the 10% of not raw category.

Have you ever tried a raw challenge or do you eat a % raw on a daily basis? What do you enjoy or dislike about it? Share your thoughts below.


Post a Comment